In this two-minute read, we look at the homes of some of our favourite fictional characters.
Tomorrow is World Book Day, so here’s a list of six famous fictional homes (because even plucky heroes and dastardly villains need to keep a roof over their heads).
1) Number 4 Privet Drive. From the outside, this suburban home in Little Whinging, Surrey, is your classic “well presented three-bedroom modern residence”. But take a closer look, and you’ll find a young wizard called Harry Potter sleeping in a tiny cupboard under the stairs.
2) Satis House. Although it’s grand in scale, Satis House is best described as “in need of modernisation”. The clocks have all stopped in this decaying mansion which is home to batty spinster Miss Havisham and her adopted daughter Estella in Great Expectations.
3) 221B Baker Street. The home of super sleuth Sherlock Holmes consists of “a couple of comfortable bed-rooms and a single large airy sitting-room, cheerfully furnished, and illuminated by two broad windows”. Given its central London location and elegant Georgian architecture, no doubt 221B would be snapped up for a tidy sum these days (if it were real, of course).
4) Villa Villekulla. This one is a family home brimming with character – and a horse and monkey. Pippi Longstocking’s Villa Villekulla has several unique selling points, including a tree that grows Sockerdricka, a sugary Swedish soft drink.
5) Manderley. This country pile in remote, coastal Cornwall is a prime example of “location, location, location”. It plays a central role in Daphne du Maurier’s spine-chilling Rebecca. Home to the second Mrs De Winter and the devious Mrs Danvers, the mansion even features in the opening line of the novel: “Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.”
6) Bag End. Located in Hobbiton, this one-storey residence (home to Bilbo Baggins and later, Frodo) is built into a hill and surprisingly cosy. Despite its discreet exterior, it has bedrooms, bathrooms, several pantries, and even a cellar. Ideal for those looking for a low carbon lifestyle.
If you’re looking for a change of scenery, whether it’s to upgrade, downsize or relocate, get in touch with us here at Mackay Property Agents. Whatever your story, we can help you with the next chapter.
COPYRIGHT MACKAY PROPERTY AGENTS 2021