In this two-minute read, we look at five things landlords in Sawbridgeworth and Bishop's Stortford can do to be proactive during the COVID-19 outbreak.
We’re now almost a month into life under lockdown due to COVID-19.
And while it can feel like the disease has turned the world upside down, there are still actions we can take to exercise some sense of control.
And for landlords in Sawbridgeworth and Bishop's Stortford these ideas below are helping them and their tenants.
1) Communicate clearly and consistently: It’s a good idea to stay in touch with your tenants and reassure them that you are there should they have any concerns. If we fully manage your property, we are doing this on your behalf. Excellent communication was necessary before the outbreak; it’s now vital.
2) It’s tech time. Now is the ideal opportunity to embrace technology like Zoom, Skype and Facetime, to stay in contact with tenants and this can be utilised to conduct property viewings and inspections safely.
3) Be flexible and realistic about payments: Not all tenants have had their income affected by the outbreak, but some have. With those who are experiencing financial pressure but have previously been good tenants, it’s worth being flexible in your approach to rent collection. Call us to discuss how we can help you help them and protect your interests and their homes in the longer term.
4) Random Acts of Kindness: A little kindness goes a long way in bad times like these. If you have tenants who you know are self-isolating perhaps offer to shop for them or drop off a care package? We have several instances where landlords have generously bought essentials for tenants and delivered them while safely observing social distancing guidelines.
5) From a more practical perspective, now is the time to get your admin in order if you are self-managing your property. Is your landlord insurance up to date? When was your last Gas Safety check? Have you looked at what Government support is available to you during the outbreak?
At Mackay Property we can help you with these or any other questions you want answers to.
We’re always here to support you and your tenants get through this temporary period safely.